『My treasure』

My artifact is watch. It is the watch that my mother give me on my fourteen birthday. I used this watch when I took entrance exams for high school, and it was useful not only for checking the time but also as a talisman. So, the watch is important to me. The color of the watch is brown and gold. The watch can be charged by sunlight. Also, since it is a radio clock, it always shows the correct time.


 

I wear the watch always. I went shopping with my mother in the summer when I was seventeen. We arrived the shopping mall. First, we ate pasta for lunch. After eating lunch, we went to a few shops together. But we wanted different things. I wanted clothing, but my mother wanted accessories. So, we made an appointment to meet at the entrance at 3:00 p.m. and went around the store separately. I like looking at various clothes in clothing stores. So I went around the clothing stores in a frenzy. And I find a good clothing. After a while, I looked at my watch and it was 2:50 p.m. After a while I went to entrance, my mother was already there. And my mother was very angry. 

''You come late!'' ''What time do you think it is?''  my mother said.

''why?!'' ''I come here by the appointed time!'' I said. 

But when I looked at the watch again, my watch was still showing 2:50. Then I realized that my watch had stopped. It was exactly 3:30 p.m. I was 30 minutes late for my appointment with my mother. I told my mother that my watch had stopped and apologized. When my mother found out, she forgave me. But from now on, I decided to check the time frequently so as not to be late. This day become a very sad day for me. It wasn't because my mother got angry with me, but because my watch was broken. That watch is important to me, so I keep it even though it's broken. But that watch is a treasure given to me by my mother, so I keep it instead of throwing it away.


There is a cultural background that watches are given to loved ones as gifts. In Japan, watches have different meanings depending on who gives them to whom. When a man gives a watch to a woman, it means "Let's walk in the same time''. When a woman gives a man a watch as a gift, it means "I want to bind your time''. Giving a watch like this has a special meaning. Also, when a parent gives a watch to a child as a gift, it means "diligently".  In this way, giving a watch as a gift has a special meaningHowever, watches can sometimes make people feel bad. For example, wearing a watch in the business scene is good manners, but wearing a digital watch is bad manners. Digital watches are often used when playing sports, so it's too casual to use in business situations Also, it is considered impolite to give gifts that can be worn directly on the skin to superiors, so it is not very good. Therefore, it is necessary to consider the time and occasion when using a watch.

コメント

  1. Hi, Aono! Your watch is so cute! The watch looks really stopped at 2:50. It's a shock when the watch stops, isn't it? Your watch is so nice that even stopped can be used as an accessory. Also, I was suprised to learn for the first time that the meaning of a watch as gift changes depending on who gives it. Moreover, I also found that digital watches are not suitable for business situations. I think it's a great topic to study.

    返信削除
  2. Nice to meet you, Aono! I understand your artifact. I don't know the cultural background
    about watches in Japan. I was very surprised. I think it's amazing that you continued to use it until the watch broke.

    返信削除
  3. Hi, Aono. It was a very easy story to understand, and it showed that the watch is very important. You have taken very good care of it since you were 14 years old until now. I also learned that a watch is an item that must be chosen at the right time and place!

    返信削除
  4. Hello, Aono. Your watch is beautiful! I didn't know watches have many meanings, so I was surprised. I think it is good for presents.

    返信削除
  5. Your watch is very nice!! I understood that you used this watch very carefully. I knew for the first time meaning of giving a watch. I want to reserch other gifts meaning.

    返信削除

コメントを投稿